Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tool #11


1. What are your favorite tools you now have in your personal technology toolbox? Briefly describe a particular activity that you will plan for your students using at least one of these new tools.
I really enjoyed the Poll Everywhere tool. It was neat to see how it worked and I can't wait to use it in my classroom. I already use my Expressions daily, so this will be a nice twist for the kids. I plan to use it as part of my warm up each day to get an initial response and some feedback from my students about the previous day's topic. I feel that using this tool will allow me to get some feedback and pinpoint ideas or concepts that we may need to revisit. I also enjoyed using Wordle. Although I'm not sure how I might incorporate it into my classroom, it was a neat tool that I will share with my students. Maybe they will be able to use it in their other classes.

2. How have you transformed your thinking about the learning that will take place in your classroom? How has your vision for your classroom changed? Are you going to need to make any changes to your classroom to accommodate the 21st Century learner?
I am still trying to imagine how all of this technology will work in my classroom. I think that today's kids are so technologically sound and truly know more about technology than I do. I will be able to come up with initial tasks and ideas for them to try, and I bet that they will be the ones who develop a more effective approach with these devices. My vision of a typical high school math classroom is changing everyday. There is going to be a very different atmosphere than most old school math teachers are used to. We have so much technology readily available and that excites the kids. I feel that if I can vary the instruction in my classroom, it will keep the kids energized. If the kids are energized, they are excited to be there and excited to learn and do new things. I'm going to need to make a lot of changes in my classroom. It'll be good for me though. I don't want to get in the same routine and do the same lessons day in and day out. I want to incorporate more technology into my classroom. It's going to be a process though.
3. Were there any unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?
I did not expect to be able to do some of these things so quickly. I was a little unsure about how all of this would work and how much time it would take up. Most of the tools required e to watch the short videos and then I was able to carry them out. I expected them to be more involved and more complex. I'm so glad that I'm able to actually figure out what I'm supposed to do with these new devices. I'm sure it'll be a different story once I start to incorporate them into my classroom. 

1 comment:

  1. Poll Everywhere is such an easy tool. Students will enjoy using their own devices to respond! Determining ways to integrate the technology is the challenge. Some ideas that come to mind: allowing students who need additional assistance access to Khan Academy videos, allowing groups to work on some math projects - creating comics, using Google Earth (I would love to work with you for ways to incorporate in your classroom!), making video tutorials of concepts, ways to solve problems. Happy to hear the tools were not too taxing and hope that you develop a strong PLN to continue to learn and grow!

    ReplyDelete